Wednesday, June 15, 2011

THROUGH IT ALL By Teboho Masakala


Review by Rebaone Motsalane

I was very reluctant to read this book, if I had another choice I would have over looked it. It is sad how sometimes first impressions last.

This is after most writers came hard on me when I critically reviewed Masakala first book, Mind, Pen, Paper and Ideas last year. Many said that I was too hard considering that it was his first attempt. But am I glad that I did critically analyze him otherwise I doubt he would have improved this much. And I am glad that with a bitter taste in my mouth I read it and also that he was not dismayed but through it all (criticisms) he managed to pen another one, I call this bravery from both sides !

He seemed to have considered those sore points and rising up to the level where he should be. Through it all is so much better and was worth reading.

Masakala is showing signs of maturity in his thinking and writing. He has left behind his boyish approach to writing and now into adulthood or should I say manhood.

He totally caught me off especially the ending of this book. The story is about an orphaned girl sexually abused by his uncle who turned into prostitute. Though I was expecting a happy ending, I never thought he would tackle the most important part of survival, spirituality.

From the beginning he never gave away his ending and just when you think you know how it will ends he takes the reader by surprise and give this beautiful ending.

However he should note that he should be able to keep the interest of the reader and maintain it throughout. I know I have left many books unfinished just because I could not be bothered to finish them. Great ending!


Though he might have improved and polished his writing it is clear he refused to take my advice on some issues, the book in has seven chapters but pages are not numbered and he adhered to his style of making long paragraphs. I am hopeful this will be addressed in the third book? You have that potential untapped it fully and don’t personalize criticism as I am not in the business of destroying dreams and careers, its only meant to build you up!

*Courtesy of Mangaung Issue

No comments:

Post a Comment